Friday, August 29, 2008

Froggie Went a Courtin'...Uh-huh



Well, we all know that cute little song, and a long one it is actually. I just looked up the lyrics (I had no idea Bob Dylan covered it) and a little known stanza goes like this:





Next to come was the old gray cat, Uh-huh,
Next to come was the old gray cat, Uh-huh,
Next to come was the old gray cat.
Swallowed the mouse and ate up the rat, Uh-huh.


Anyway, as you can see, Froggie came a courtin' in my yard recently, and a handsome one he was. Actually, he was enjoying the feast of some sort of fly that was coming out of the ground by the hundreds it seemed - even seagulls appeared overhead coming to join in the flying buffet. Manitou, neither old, nor grey, was most puzzled by this critter, and had a lie-down right in front of him, as if to examine him real close before he...ahem...well, I didn't really want to see what came next, so I quickly scooped up Da Man, and brought him inside the house, so Froggie could enjoy his feast in peace.

"Come in the house my Manitou,
Froggie is not on your menu, nuh-uh, nuh-uh, nuh-uh!"



I am sure there are more courtin' critters over at The Friday Ark and then Carnival of the Cats on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say it's a good thing you brought in your cat!

    That isn't a frog -- it's a toad. Toads excrete a toxin from their skin when threatened. I have a cousin who once lost a dog because it ate a toad like this!

    ReplyDelete